Pearson VUE exam delivery systems are now operational and all scheduling has resumed. For security reasons, you will be prompted to reset your password.
For questions or support, please contact Pearson VUE customer service.
|| Proctored exam taken at dedicated testing center
||1 hour 45 minutes
These recommended courses help you prepare for the exam:
|Additional study materials
HP-UX System and Network Administration II Course Course ID H3065S (Available through HP Education and Training)
HP-UX Logical Volume Manager (LVM) Course Course ID H6285 Modules 9 and 14 (Availablethrough HP Education and Training)
Unix Fundamentals Course ID 51434s (Available through HP Education and Training)
Register for this Exam
During the exam, you can make specific comments about the exam and items. HPE welcomes these comments as part of our continuous improvement process.
No online or hard copy reference material will be allowed at the testing site. This exam may contain beta test items for experimental purposes.
This exam tests your skills on HP-UX 11iv3 System Administration.
Ideal candidate for this exam
Most successful candidates will have a minimum of one year of real-world experience as a system administrator. At least one to three years of experience working in a Unix or Linux environment is recommended. Successful candidates also prepare for the test in a variety of ways. This guide describes some of these ways and provides references to materials for further preparation.
This exam has 60 questions.
Here are types of questions to expect:
- Multiple choice (multiple responses)
- Multiple choice (single response)
Advice to help you take this exam
Rather than emphasize simple memorization, HPE exams attempt to assess whether you have the knowledge and skills that an HP-UX System Administrator requires on the job. Therefore, many test items present a scenario, which outlines a particular environment or problem. You may also need to use exhibits to complete the test items successfully. During the exam, you will be able to move from question to question, skip questions, and change your answers. However, once you submit your answers for the exam, you will not be able to return to the exam to review questions or change your answers.
Read the entire question and consider all options before you answer. If the question includes an exhibit, study the exhibit and read the question again. Select the answer that fully responds to the question. If the question asks for more than one answer, select all correct answers. There is no partial credit.
This exam validates that you can successfully perform the following:
Fundamental HP-UX architectures and technologies
- Identify the supported HP-UX processor interfaces and their features
- Identify the major hardware components found in systems running HP-UX
- Identify the basic LVM concepts and structure
- Perform an HP-UX installation from local installation media
- Describe SD-UX concepts.
- Install HP-UX patches.
- Identify the features and benefits of Ignite-UX.
- Perform an HP-UX installation from an Ignite-UX server
- Identify the features and benefits of Dynamic Root Disk.
VSE Component Installation, Configuration and Management
- Identify the characteristics of the HPE partitioning continuum.
- Diagnose and resolve common HP-UX OS issues.
HP-UX User Environment, Basic Commands, and Utilities
- Login and determine basic information about an HP-UX system.
- Execute basic HP-UX commands from the command line.
- Manage and manipulate files and directories.
- Define and describe the program, process, and thread attributes of an HP-UX instance.
- Demonstrate the tools and techniques used to identify, monitor, and terminate programs and processes.
- Identify and explain how and when to use shell features.
- Describe when and how to access basic network services.
HP-UX System Administration and Operational Tasks
- Boot, reboot and shutdown an HP-UX system or partition.
- Connect and configure HP-UX hardware.
- Describe, configure, and manage HP-UX 11i v3 device files.
- Configure and manage disks and disk partitions.
- Maintain file and file system integrity and design.
- Backup and recover data on an HP-UX system.
- Create and manage swap space.
- Configure and use print scheduler.
- Configure and tune the HP-UX kernel.
- Describe and use System Management Homepage (SMH).
- Describe System Startup model and its use.
- Monitor system activity and events.
- Create and manage user and group environments.
HP-UX System Network Administration
- Describe LAN addressing concepts.
- Describe set_parms and its use
- Identify and use common network configuration files and network monitoring tools.
- Describe and configure HP-UX routing.
- Configure and monitor network services.
- Describe the ONC suite of network services and their use.
- Describe and configure NTP,
HP-UX Security Administration
- Identify “users level” security settings.
- Describe password creation options and their use.
- Describe common system security concerns.
- Describe and configure HP-UX Secure Shell (ssh).
These sample questions provide a preview of questions to expect on the exam. Although these questions will not appear on the exam, they are representative of exam questions and should help you become familiar with the format and complexity.
To view sample questions, print or download this page.
Join the conversation
Learning resources that were developed before the Hewlett-Packard Company separation might contain some content and brand elements that have not been updated for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Learning resources with the highest usage are updated.